If you have a marketable skill and you want to sell your services online, there are a few steps you need to take to be successful. Regardless of the type of service you want to offer, you’ll need to start with a website. Your website will be the cornerstone of your business. It is where people will learn about you and your services, and it will even serve as the venue through which you provide your service.
Below you’ll find out about all the steps necessary for starting to sell online services, including how to build a website and the site elements required to start selling.
How to Sell Online Services
1. Consider How to Position Yourself in the Market
Before you start to build your business website, you’ll need to consider how you’re going to position yourself in the market. For instance, if you’re going to sell reseller hosting, it’s helpful to focus on a specific niche. It’s much easier to find clients for the real estate market than trying to market to everyone looking for hosting services.
Therefore, you should consider who you want to serve and how your unique expertise and experience will make you well-positioned to serve this market. Essentially, you need to be able to answer two questions:
- What specific service are you offering?
- Who are you offering this service to?
When you can confidently answer these questions, you can make your website’s design and message intentional and effective.
2. Create Your Website
Now that you know what you’re offering and who you’re offering it to, it’s time to build your website.
If you’ve never created a website before, the process can seem daunting. However, if you use a website builder, the process becomes a lot simpler and, consequently, less intimidating.
A website builder provides your hosting, domain name, and site-building tools all under one roof. Most website builders are designed with a drag and drop system. This means that you can design and add features with the click of a button. No coding required. Additionally, most website builders will walk you through the process of selecting a web host and domain name.
When selling online services, there are specific pages that your site must-have. These are:
- A home page that tells your visitors directly what you’re offering and how your service will help them.
- A portfolio page that demonstrates the quality of your work.
- A services page that breaks down what you’re offering.
- A testimonial page that indicates that people have used your service and liked it.
- A contact page, so people know how to reach you.
3. Generate and Convert Traffic
To sell your services, you will need website traffic, and you will need to turn that traffic into customers. There are various approaches to generating and converting traffic, but here are a few of the most common methods:
- Write a guest blog for a popular site that your target audience reads and have a link in your bio that directs back to your site.
- Write a blog to rank for customer-centric keywords
- Develop social media profiles on platforms where your audience spends time
- Comb through job boards in your niche and pitch any jobs where your services are in alignment
- Cold pitch companies and individuals who might need your services
4. Provide Your Service
Once you have your website set up and you’re generating traffic and clients, it’s time to provide the promised service. You must go above and beyond with your deliverables, especially for your first few clients.
By offering exceptional service, you’ll be able to collect testimonials and referrals, which will help grow your business.
After following the steps outlined above, you should be well equipped to sell online services and make money. However, it’s important to remember that this is a long-term game, and consistency is key. Continue to work hard, and you will see success.