Raleigh, North Carolina, offers several ice skating rinks during the winter season, providing residents and visitors with a delightful winter activity. We will look at the different ice skating rink options in Raleigh, their unique features, special events, and the overall ice skating experience in this vibrant city.
Get ready to strap on your skates and hit the ice this winter in Raleigh! From natural ice skating rinks in the heart of the city to the state’s only Olympic size ice sheet, ice skating Raleigh offers an exhilarating experience for everyone from beginners to seasoned skaters.
Outdoor Ice Skating in Downtown Raleigh: THE RINK
One of Raleigh’s most beloved winter attractions, THE RINK, presented by UNC Health, offers an unforgettable ice skating experience right in the heart of downtown. Set against the stunning backdrop of the Raleigh skyline, this natural ice rink is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to embrace the frosty joy of the season.
What to Expect at THE RINK
THE RINK not only provides an ideal setting for ice skating but also offers numerous other winter-themed activities that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Here’s a snapshot of what you can expect:
- Winter Wonderland Themed Ice Rink: Enjoy skating on an ice rink that’s beautifully adorned with winter-themed decorations
- Cozy Stations: Take a break from skating and relax at the cozy stations, equipped with comfortable outdoor furniture and heat warmers
- Fire Pits: Gather around the fire pits to warm up and share stories
- Holiday Tree: Marvel at the 20-foot tall decorated holiday tree
- Decoration Stations: Get your picture taken at the decoration stations, including a 6-foot lighted bulb display
- Snack Bar: Indulge in hot cocoa, beer, wine, and sweet treats at the snack bar
- Games: Have some fun off the ice with giant Jenga and cornhole game boards
- Themed Nights: Enjoy special themed nights like Throwback Thursday and Flannel Friday
Private Igloo Lounge
New this year, THE RINK also features private igloo lounges. These lounges can accommodate up to 6 people and offer exclusive food and beverage options, souvenir items, and skating tickets.
Tickets and Hours of Operation
Tickets for THE RINK are available for purchase online or in person at the Martin Marietta Center box office. Skater admission is priced at $15, which includes skate rental, while non-skater admission is $6. Please note that tickets are for 2-hour skating sessions and it’s highly recommended to purchase tickets in advance as there are only a limited number of slots available each day.
Indoor Ice Skating at IcePlex
If you prefer the controlled environment of indoor ice skating, the IcePlex is your go-to destination. Boasting North Carolina’s only Olympic size sheet of ice, this full-service skating facility caters to all ages and abilities.
What IcePlex Offers
- Youth Hockey and Adult Hockey: The IcePlex offers programs for both youth and adult hockey players
- Figure Skating and Learn to Skate Programs: Whether you’re a budding figure skater or a beginner looking to learn the basics, the IcePlex has you covered
- Summer Camps and Track Out Camps: Kids can stay active during the summer and track out periods with the IcePlex’s camps
- Birthday Parties: Celebrate your birthday on ice! The IcePlex offers birthday party packages.
- Pro Shop: Get all your skating gear at the on-site pro shop
- Additional Amenities: The facility also features a gaming room, rock climbing wall, and free WiFi
Community Activities at THE RINK
In addition to the skating fun, THE RINK also hosts various community activities in partnership with local organizations. These activities range from food bank donations to coat drives, book donations, and more. Moreover, special themed nights and market days are organized on select days to add more excitement to the skating experience.
Reviews: What People are Saying
According to reviews, ice skating in Raleigh, particularly at THE RINK and the IcePlex, is a much-loved activity for residents. One review mentioned, “It is a great add-on for western wake residents and benefits us a lot…For soccer and volleyball, families find a new spot to gather and play together other than west Cary. And it’s conveniently located on the new road between airport blvd and aviation parkway.”
Tickets: How to Purchase
Tickets for THE RINK go on sale from July 28th and are available for purchase online, at the Martin Marietta Center Box Office, or onsite at Red Hat Amphitheater during THE RINK hours of operation. Remember, the availability of on-site tickets may vary based on demand.
- What size skates are available at THE RINK?
- Children’s size 9 and up, Men’s up to size 13, Women’s up to size 11
- Are skate mates available for small children?
- Yes, a limited number of skate mates are available
- Can I bring my own skates?
- Yes, you are welcome to bring your own skates. However, skater admission is still $15 and those who bring their own skates must still sign a waiver
- Are food and drinks available?
- Yes, there will be food and drink options available
From the enchanting outdoor setting of THE RINK to the Olympic-sized sheet of IcePlex, ice skating in Raleigh offers an array of options for everyone, regardless of their skill level. Whether you’re looking to enjoy a leisurely skate amidst the winter wonderland ambiance or hone your hockey skills, Raleigh’s ice skating scene has something for everyone.
So, this winter, get ready to lace up your skates and glide into a world of frosty fun with ice skating in Raleigh! You’re sure to create unforgettable memories and maybe even start a new holiday tradition!